A remiCrystal Data–Driven task provides a way to use dynamic data such as parameter values, email addresses or folder names that are retrieved from an external data source at run time and can be used to replace SQL Server's native Data-Driven Subscriptions.
To create a data-driven task in remiCrystal using an SSRS report:
- Open remiCrystal from the Windows Start Menu
- Click on the Create External Data Task tile on the Home screen
- Give the task a name and notice that the check box to Enable Data Driven functionality has been checked.
- Go to the External Data tab to specify the connection details for your data-source. The ODBC DSN used here must be a 32-bit System DSN.
- Hit the Connect button and use the query builder to create the query that will be used to select the data from your database.
- Hit the Validate button to make sure that your query is valid and that it returns all the records you are expecting
- You can specify to only return records that remiCrystal hasn't already processed by select the Only run for new records checkbox
- Select the Primary Key column from your query results. This is the column that contains unique values that can be used to identify every record.
- With the query created, you can add one or more reports to your task under the Reports and Actions tab. Please see this article on how to add SSRS reports to a remiCrystal task.
- When you get to the Parameters section of the SSRS report screen, you can drag and drop any field from your External Data query results into any of the parameter value fields (First select External Data from the Function Picker window to view all the fields from you query)
- You can also use the fields from the query to customize the report's output name when it gets exported (Output Format tab)
- With the report(s) added to your task, you can then create the Targets where you would like to have your report delivered. As with parameters, the destination properties can be dynamically populated using the fields from your query results. See example email below:
- Save your Target and task.
- When you execute the task, the reports(s) will be run for and delivered to every customer in your query results and each recipient's report will contain only data that is relevant to them.